Saturday, March 16, 2013

How to port forward with dynamic ip adress?

Q. Hi, can anyone please explain to me how to port forward with a dynamic ip address? I have a linksys router!

A. Which Dynamic IP ????
Your public ip? To get people to connect to a server at home? Then you use a dynamic naming service like DynDNS, DTDNS, or No-IP, and forward a URL name to your home's public IP. You then load one of their utilities that checks the Ip and updates their DNS servers on a regular basis...

If you home LAN IP is dynamic, you cannot port forward to it reliably. Forwarding is to a specific IP address on your home LAN (like 192.168.1.x). You have to make sure the PC you are forwarding to is at a static LAN Ip address, else eventually port forwarding will fail. No way around that - it has to be a LAN static IP.
Public Ip can be dynamic as long as you have a service mentioned above, that keeps things in sync....


How do I configure port forwarding when accessing public wireless LAN?
Q. I tried to use some games and programs which require special ports to transfer data. But the connection fails when using access to public wiress LAN such as Linksys routing. How do i configure port forwarding in singapore?

A. In general, you don't. You'd need access to the router configuration to do that, and only the most foolish hotspot operator would let you change the router configuration.

You may be able to tunnel the traffic through a proxy server.


How do I set up a single port forward for my internal ip address?
Q. I currently own a Linksys E3000 router. I've went to a port forward page and I've selected a port that I want to forward. However, I could only assign the port forwards to ip's in this format: 192.168.1.X. but, I want to forward a port that has an ip of this format: 10.X.X.X. Is there still a way I could forward a port in that particular format?

A. No. All the computers have to have an IP address in the same subnet as the router private addresses. It then issues all machines with addresses in that range. you can not talk to a machine in the 10. range from the 192. range as these are totally different subnets. So any machine you want to run within that network MUST have a 192. series and within the same range except for the last octet of the address.


Do I have to port forward for both my Ethernet and Wi-FI connections?
Q. I want to port forward my router, a Linksys WRT54G3G-ST for Azureus. I am running Win Xp Pro.

A. With that router you should just have a tab for applications and gaming. Under that tab you can do your port forwards. The type of connection doesn't matter. It forwards to the IP address of your machine. How it travels to that IP address (wireless or wired) doesn't matter.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment