Sunday, March 17, 2013

How can I get my linksys usb wireless adapter to work with linux?

Q. I would like to have a completely microsoft free computer unfortunately I have to keep windows because I need a driver for a WUSB600N ultra range N wireless usb adapter to connect to the internet. I would like it to work with ubuntu 9.04. linksys doesn't support linux(or mac) they only support windows.I would like to know where I can download or make a driver for ubuntu

A. Here is the Official Ubuntu Wireless Documentation

Cards Supported
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Troubleshooting/Howto/General
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

In the event of your Wifi card being unsupported you can use Ndiswrapper Here is the Official Ubuntu Ndiswrapper Documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper


LUg.


Why won't my Linksys usb wireless adapter work in windows 7?
Q. I using a wusb600N adapter and the cd that came with it won't install correctly so I called tech support and was on the line for 2 hours and they couldn't figure it out and said that my x64 bit windows wasn't supported. The weird thing is that it will work on my parents computer that is running windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone know where I might get a patch for it or something?

A. Hello K-While,

You should check your driver's compatibility and perform the updates: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx. This should resolve your problem.

Cheers,
Tara
Windows Outreach Team


Can a usb wireless adapter help me connect to the internet using Linux?
Q. Right now I can dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux. My wireless card doesn't work with Ubuntu. So I was wondering, could I buy a USB wireless adapter and try to connect to a wifi network using that? If so what is recommended to get? And where could I get drivers for Ubuntu Linux?

A. What is your card model? There might be Linux Based drivers for the chipset. For instance I have a PCI Linksys WMP110 which has the Ralink Chipset, so I installed the Linux Ralink driver and it works perfect.

Also it works with Kernel 2.6.34 + without drivers (same with the Linksys WUSB600N). If you can update your kernel to 3.6.34 (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-lucid/ ) that might fix the issue.

Install in this order:
linux-headers-2.6.34-020634_ 2.6.34-020634_all.deb

[use the one that you need between 32bit and 64 bit]
linux-headers-2.6.34-020634- generic_2.6.34-020634_ i386.deb
linux-headers-2.6.34-020634- generic_2.6.34-020634_ amd64.deb

[use the one that you need between 32bit and 64 bit]
linux-image-2.6.34-020634- generic_2.6.34-020634_ i386.deb
linux-image-2.6.34-020634- generic_2.6.34-020634_ amd64.deb


How do I get internet on a Linux Ubuntu with a Linksys WUSB600N usb tower?
Q. I need some help on how to get and install the driver for a Linksys WUSB600 wireless internet tower so I can have internet on my 2nd OS Ubuntu. ty =)

A. Wireless with Ubuntu is usually screwed. You can load the Windows drivers into Linux with the Ndiswrapper utility, though their wiki is down.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

However in my case(I'm using a TrendNet TEW-424UB) I was experiencing frequent random disconnects after having the drivers loaded and it still occurred after changing my network manager to WICD.

I would strongly recommend the ethernet suggestion.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment