Monday, July 30, 2012

Netgear Faq: Netgear Wireless Repeater Setup

Thomas asks…

how to setup netgear wndr300 as a repeater?

I've bought 2 Netgear WNDR300s hoping to extend my wireless network by using the repeater functionality.
But I cant seem to figure out how to do it?

Can anyone provide any suggestionst?
I would like to connect the first router to an existing rounter and then the second router through the repeater followed by a regular router connected at that end to share the internet connection.
Something like
DSL -> Router1 ->Netgear WNDR300 (1 Repeater) -> Netgear WNDR 300 (2) -> Router2 -> PCs

Thanks in advance.

netgear answers:

Don't use more than 1 router. You can use as many WAPs as you like (repeaters slow the connection - by about 1/2 for each repeater you go through - so you can't really use too many), but only ONE box should be doing network address translation. Make sure your modem isn't a router - if it is, emasculate* all your routers. If not, emasculate all but the first one.

As far as setting a router up as a repeater, if that capability is in the firmware (I don't know Netgear's line), it'll be on one of the wireless setup pages.


*Disable the DHCP server in the router, and connect it to its source by one of its *LAN* jacks. Don't use the WAN jack at all.

Mark asks…

should i buy a wireless repeater or switch to wireless N?

i have a home setup with a netgear G router and a TP-Link extended range wireless USB adapter both at 56MBps. My pc which is between 2 walls and downstairs (yet only like 10 feet from the router) is getting slower speeds from 65KBps to only 1.7MBps downloading from STEAM. yet my fathers computer which is hooked up wired gets over 6MBps to even 9MBps downloading the same game.

my question is should i buy a wireless repeater for Wireless G? or upgrade my router and adapter to Maybe a wireless N with rangemax? ive tried changing the channel for the wireless but we have a lot of networks around us. so the best range i get is about 3/5 bars in win7 because of the interference. should i also switch to 5GHz maybe?

thanks, best answer gets it :)

netgear answers:

Never double down on old technology. 802.11ac is out now, why continue with g?

I have a 300+450 router (2.4ghz and 5ghz) with a 5ghz adapter for my computer that is only 15 feet from the router, and I get 150+mpbs. You should bank of getting 1/3 the advertised speed of a router wirelessly. You only get the actual number in PERFECT conditions.

Newer routers have better coverage, higher speed.

If you don't have $ issues- look at the attached. It has GREAT coverage, walls are not an issue. Check any router at cnet.com first though.

Paul asks…

Can I use a Netgear DG834 as a repeater?

First of all, here is my setup.

My ISP is BT so I have a Hh 2.0. I also have a Belkin homeplug that connects to the Hh and takes internet up to my room, which I have connected to a network switch that provides internet for both my Xbox and PS3.

What I want to do now is add a wireless router to my setup in my room so I can connect laptops to wireless in my room and suchlike. I currently have a netgear DG834G. How can I make this work?

I've tried updating the firmware for the router, but I get errors telling me its the wrong file (I have already unzipped it before I try to upload, before that comes up). Will updating matter? Or do I need the update to set it up as a repeater?

Any help will be much appreciated.

netgear answers:

Basically you'll be turning the Netgear into an Access Point - you won't need to update to the firmware, but you will need a cable running from the homehub to the netgear. You will also need to give the netgear an IP addres in the same range as the homehub (homehubs are 192.168.1.* and netgears i think default to 192.168.0.*). I would give the netgear an address outside the homehubs DHCP scope. Also you will need to turn DHCP off on the netgear.
Homehub 2.0 are 'N' routers anyway, are you sure the range doesn't already reach your room so you can just run the PS3 and laptops off that wireless signal? Of course you'll need to get the wireless addon for the Xbox

this may help you - http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_tworouters.html

Michael asks…

Need help with a complicated home network setup...?

Hello. I have a Netgear Wireless-N router but am only using it as a Wireless-G router as of now. I have a long house if that makes sense, with the Netgear router in the office on the second floor at one end, and my Wii (with built-in Wireless-G) on the first floor at the other end of the house. I have two computers on the second floor in the middle of the house that get good reception with Wireless G; the one closer to the Wii we will call Computer A, and the computer closer to the router and office we will call Computer B. The Wii barely gets any reception (it reports zero bars), and I want my Wii to connect to the Internet wirelessly. I have my old Wireless-G router connected to Computer A via an ethernet cord. I also have a Wireless-G adapter plugged in to Computer A via PCI (this is how Computer A gets a connection to the Internet). How do I set up this Wireless-G router to broadcast a wireless signal? (I want the Wireless-G router to take the wireless connection Computer A receives from the PCI adapter and broadcast a Wireless-G signal for the Wii to connect to). If this is not possible, what would you recommend I do (eg. get a repeater [which one would you recommend], install dd-wrt onto the old Wireless-G router and use the repeater function, etc.)?

netgear answers:

Get a wifi repeater. Put it by your PCs in the middle of the house.

My suggestion is to relocate your wifi router to the middle of the house, but I assume that isn't possible.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

1 comment:

  1. Looking great work dear. I'm happy to read your blog, really appreciated this quality work. Thanks for sharing. If you want to know about Google Wifi App you can visit here.

    ReplyDelete