Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why do people want to know the first 4 s/n on the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router?

Q. I'm selling a linksys wrt54gs wireless router and I have a lot of people asking me about the first 4 s/n and I was wondering what the first 4 s/n means to them. I'm clueless on how to ask this question.

A. Linksys sold many different products that were all called the "WRT54GS" router. The buyers want to know which WRT54GS they're buying.

For example, if your serial number prefix is CGN0, your router has 32MB of RAM. But if it's CGNE, it only has 16MB. If your serial number prefix is CGN5, you have a 200MHz CPU. If it's CGNB, you have a 240MHz CPU.

When an older part becomes unavailable or a newer part is less expensive, the manufacturer switches to the newer part. But they don't want to have to create a new part number, do new advertising, or make new arrangements with their customers. So they switch the design of the device and fill existing orders with something different. Most end users don't care so long as the products work mostly the same. However, woth things like routers, the older versions tend to not get new firmware or tend to be missing features that were added later.


How can I get my DSL Modem to work with my Linksys Router?
Q. I have an Actiontec GT701R DSL Modem powered by Qwest and a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have other computers and printers in my home that need to be networked together. I cannot get the Linksys and the Actiontec to work together.

They both have the latest firmware versions installed.

I just want to plug my network devices into my linksys and then have it all move through the Actiontec out to the web. I also would like my wireless to work, but I just need the ethernet stuff to work at the moment.

I have a dire need to get this working as quickly as I can, please help.
I need to know about how I can get a route established either Dynamic or Static, what I can do about NAT (which device should run it) and how to get the linksys to point to the actiontect for internet information.

Please dont tell me to call qwest or run a dumb CD, those are dumb answers.

A. Well first we need to know if the modem handles PPPOE. if not then it is passive and you will have to fill that info out on the 54g as a WAN setting. PPPOE usually is an email address that comes with your service and a predetermined password. Regarding NAT... the 54g is a very solid router and I strongly suggest that you use the internal firewall built in the router, this would mean that if your modem does in fact have a NAT, you will have to disable it to get a useable and healthy statefull connection to the router.

If you were given a static IP from your ISP then you simply have to change the WAN setting on the router to static and input the IP address, gateway, and dns servers (use open dns! opendns.com)

feel free to contact me with any further questions.


How do I do a full erasure of a WRT54G Router?
Q. I recently got a Linksys WRT54G Version 2 Router from a friend of mines. What I wanted to know is how do I go about making sure that all of the old and previous settings that may be stored on the router itself are cleared off so that I can start from a fresh firmware? Right now it has HyperWRT 15c Thibor in which I have done a clear nvram and restore default settings through the admininstration, held down the reset button in an attempt that everything resets to default, and also I have power cycled the router itself for a full day. However when I go to setup the connection type (i.e. PPPoE) the previous connection information will pop up, which I do not want happening. I've tried connecting to the router through different PC's throught my house, and the same information remains throught setting up the connection type.

I wanted to know does anyone know of any surefire ways to clear out the entire memory so that I can go with fresh settings and default firmware.

Thank you.

A. you'll have to get the new firmware for the linksys and flash the linksys firmware over the hyperwrt.


Which firmware version should I download for my wireless router?
Q. It's a Linksys WRT54G. Its current firmware version is v8.00.0

Which one of Cisco's versions should I download?
I am trying to upgrade firmware, if possible.
Upgrade to the LATEST compatible firmware! lol

A. The latest firmware for your version 8.0 router is 8.00.8, dated Oct 05, 2009.

However, the Cisco website posts the following concerning upgrade:

"NOTE: Firmware 8.00.6 and above are not compatible with Linksys EasyLink Advisor (LELA) version 1.6. If you would like to continue to use LELA 1.6, do not upgrade the router with these firmware builds."





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment