Monday, February 27, 2012

Netgear Faq: Netgear Router Ip Conflict

Ken asks…

How do I resolve this IP conflict with my ISP and router?

I just got a new motorola modem, and I plugged in my Netgear router correctly, it said: To avoid conflict with your ISP, your routers IP adress has been updated to 10.0.0.1

You must now update the IP adresses in your router's configuration settings for each relevant service, such as port forwarding and IP address reservation.

I don't want 10.0.0.1, for an IP adress, I turned off DHCP, and still it says it conflicted with WAN IP subnet, I keep changing the IP address, and it doesn't work, I need help! My PS3 doesn't connect to many games anymore PLEASE HELP.

netgear answers:

The IP address on the LAN side (the side facing your home) shouldn't matter to the modem. Are you sure you changed the correct IP address?

If I were you I'd reset the Netgear to factory defaults and let the modem update it again. What's probably happened is that the modem has changed the WAN-facing side of the router because it saw a different MAC. That is correct behavior, and if you are running a game server or something, you just need to change it as recommended.

The IP address on the WAN side doesn't matter to you or your connected devices. You don't have any control over it anyway, unless you're paying for a static IP address.

One question: Did you try it before you changed anything?

Charles asks…

Netgear/Belkin router connection conflict?

I am trying to connect my Netgear router to the same modem as my roommate's Belkin router but we are having an IP address conflict...

The default IP address for mine is something like this:

IP address: 97.81._._
Subnet Mask: 255._._._
Gateway address: 97.81._._

And I have the option to put in a primary and/or secondary DNS if need be (right now it is on the default which does not list the numbers)

What do I need to change to keep from conflicting with my roommate's?

Also, my roommate added a TRENDnet switch to connect the two...is that part of the problem or is it just there so that they can both be plugged in?

netgear answers:

If you have a broadband modem (Cable/DSL) you can only hook up either the Netgear or Belkin router to the modem.

Here is what I have in the same situation.
First: DSL Modem ==>Connected to Netgear Router's WAN port (Could put Belkin here instead does not matter, just make sure that only one RTR is connected to the modem)

Next: Configure Netgear's local LAN side with an address schema like 10.1.1.x (Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0) giving the Netgear the local LAN address of 10.1.1.1 again using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Next: Connect the Belkin Routers WAN port to one the ports on the back of Netgear, using a regular CAT5 cable. (Do not use a crossover cable!!)

Next: Configure the Belkin RTR's WAN settings so that it has a manually assigned IP address using 10.1.1.2 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and DNS as 10.1.1.1

Next: "TURN OFF" the DHCP section on the router that is assigned 10.1.1.2. Using the DHCP server settings on the router with the IP address 10.1.1.1. (Having DHCP setup on both can cause problems in a small network like this)

Clients connected to the 10.1.1.2 router will be assigned a DHCP address from the router with the 10.1.1.1 address. All clients connected to either router should be able to access the internet and any shared resources on your local LAN.

If both RTR's have wireless make sure that they each have their own SSID and security settings other wise you will have problems with wireless clients.

I would not recommend using the switch in this case as it will cause more problems then it is worth.

James asks…

Whys my internet so rubbish! (IP CONFLICT) It should be good with 20MB! I have a fast router as well! HELP?!?!?

Ok i got new internet with Virgin. 20MB Fibre Optic Broadband last week. I have 1 computer, 1 laptop, a ps3 and xbox 360 in my house which are all actively used of a NETGEAR N150 ROUTER (i think) PROVIDED BY VIRIGIN. But theres problems... and there should'nt be with 20MB Fibre Optics...I'm paying enough a month!

Theres a pic below on link, it looks pretty much like this:-
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://www.virginmedia.com/images/hub.png&imgrefurl=http://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/viewArticle.jsp%3Fuuid%3D0D2C8879-A99F-4250-A24F-9E2F1C90339B&usg=__6_Vn5XL6haN9bpVYiirqlki7uJc=&h=339&w=180&sz=22&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=RXt0VEjTN_JPDM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=62&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnetgear%2Bvmdg280%2Brouter%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D599%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=141&oei=EgwNTZahA86xhQej5eG3Dg&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=26&ty=28

So basically...

My orignal computer which is mainly used dosent work! It worked the first time when the Virgin guy set it up, i turned it off one time and back on and it didnt work! It keeps saying 'IP CONFLICT'' which i'm working on but you guys can help :) I dont no why it keeps saying that! Any advice???

Also...

My laptop cant be less than 3-4 feet away from the router other wise it just says connection 'VERY LOW' and it shouldnt. My xbox is connected via ethernet but as soon as i take it in to my other room to play wirless which is about 6-8 metres away, it dosent even have any bars of connection! I even tried the xbox guide on their website, didnt really help.

I thought 20MB Fibre Optic BroadBand with Virgin should pretty much be flawaless! Obviously not! The router that i have is apparantley 5/5 and i really need my wirless connection good through out my house which it should be!

Is there anyway to solve these problems at all! A step-to-step guide that anyone knows? Mainly for my xbox wirless and the 'IP CONFLICT' By the way no more than 2 things are being used at one time, sometimes only xbox at one time.

Please let me no anything i can do, reset settings... ANYTHING!

Thanks for help :)

netgear answers:

It sounds like there may be a couple of problems.

The destop computer was used to establish the link. The modem may have cloned the IP address.
Be sure that your computer is set for DHCP and that the router is in router and not switch mode.
You don't want to have each of your IP request going all the way back to your ISP. They may have a limit on the number of IP or MAC addresses that each account may have. You will want your router issuing IP addresses to your network.

The unit may not be putting out the power that it should or you have strong interference on the channel that it is set for. Use a WiFi mapping tool like Ekahau to see the signal levels and interference in and around your home.

Since this is such a new installation, call your service provider. They should walk you through each step to confirm that their equipment and your setup is correct.

George asks…

NETGEAR Router/Vista problem?

My ISP is Charter cable. My modem is a Motorola SBS101 SURFboard cable modem. My wireless router is a NETGEAR WNR3500. Operating system is Vista Home Premium SP1. When I connect the modem directly to my desktop, the internet connects; no problem. When I connect the modem and desktop to the router, the wireless internet/my laptop works, however my LAN connection states that a network cable has been unplugged and the desktop is unable to connect to the internet. I've looked into problems similar to mine, and have tried things such as checking the DHCP settings of the modem and router for conflicting IPs etc. but no matter what I do, no amount of experimentation will get my desktop to recognize that I have a router connected to it. If theres any more details that I should provide, I will. If anyone can help me with this, I'll be the most thankful man alive!
Also, I've done the obvious things, such as disconnecting the power/resetting the modem, and the ethernet cables, but all to no avail...
The cables are connected properly. The problem is not physical. It's an elusive communication problem that has me completely stumped. I'm no network expert, but I know enough about networking to know that this is not normal. haha

netgear answers:

Make sure you're plugging the ethernet cable that comes out of the modem into the WAN port of the router. Additionally ensure that you're plugging your desktop into one of the non-WAN ports on the router.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

5 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing some knowledge. i really appreciate it.http://www.oiemail.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. your content made me want to read more and more. congratulations for the work. thanks!http://www.agenciadempregos.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am following your blog regularly and got great information. i really like the tips you have given. thanks a lot for sharing. will be referring a lot of friends about this.http://www.celularcomchip.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very easy steps to follow and very nicely executed to make user understand the steps clearly.
    Netgear Router Tehnical Support

    ReplyDelete