Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Netgear Support: Netgear N300 Wireless Router

Paul asks…

Using a Netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000 I have limited or no connectivity while using Windows XP?

I've been setting up a Netgear router and so far i've been able to connect two computers using Vista, two PS3s and an Xbox but I simply cannot connect the XP machine to the router. Of course it says its actually connected to the router but when I try to ping the regular IP (192.168.1.1) it says "Destination not reached". However i am unsure if this is something that is common from limited or no connectivity. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

netgear answers:

This is almost always a firewall issue, especially if you're using a 3d party firewall like Zone Alarm.

Donald asks…

Will my DSL gateway 54 mbps wireless router be faster than a Netgear N300 wps router?

will my wireless router that my internet company (TDS) supplied for me be faster than a Netgear N300 wireless router than i recently purchased at bestbuy? i purchased it without realizing i already had one and now im not sure if i should return it or if this one will be better anyway since sometimes when im streaming videos off of hulu or youtube its slow and endlessly "buffers". I'm also not sure if it has anything to do with the wireless or rather TDS itself. can anyone help me?

netgear answers:

I would return it.

A DSL Gateway is a combination DSL modem and router in one enclosure. If you are going to connect a DSL Gateway to another router, be sure to disable DHCP on one of the routers.

As far as speed goes,
The best way to answer your question is to state the purpose of a router.

A router is designed to connect two different networks together. In your case the LAN, or your local network of computers and the WAN, or the Internet.
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
http://communication.howstuffworks.com/convergence/router.htm

The wireless speed of your router is the LAN speed. The LAN consists of all the computers and devices connected to your router in your house. Connections will always default to the slowest device. For example if you have a wireless N router (300 Mbps) connected to a wireless G laptop (54 Mbps), then the laptop can communicate with the router at 54 Mbps. If you wanted to copy a file from your laptop to a desktop connected to your router via a Ethernet cable (100 Mbps) connection, then you could do that at the laptop's wireless G speed of 54 Mbps.

Now for the DSL speed. The Internet is the other network connected to your router via your DSL modem. The Internet is a Wide Area Network or WAN. Your DSL modem can communicate with your Internet provider at a maximum of around 6 Mbps. This connection bandwidth is shared by your entire LAN via your router. If one user is utilizing 4 Mbps of the bandwidth that only leaves 2 Mbps for the rest of the users on the LAN.

Being that your (WAN) Internet connection is less than 6 Mbps and a wireless G router is many times faster at 54 Mbps, there is no real advantage in Internet speed by choosing a wireless N router. The only advantage would be in transferring files around between computers on your local LAN. Wireless N also has a larger range, meaning you can get a wireless signal at a larger distance from the router. However, remember to get either the speed or range improvements of wireless N, both devices have to be N. A wireless N router hooked to a wireless G adapter on a laptop or other wireless device will have the range and speed of wireless G.

I'm not saying not to buy a wireless N router, I use one myself. Just don't expect any improvement in Internet speed. People that recommend N to improve Internet speed don't understand the concept, or they're lucky enough to live in a area and have the money to afford using ungodly fast and expensive Internet connections such as Comcast Cable's 105 Mbps broadband.

Direct CAT5 Ethernet connections are 100 Mbps, there is also a newer Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps) which uses special CAT6 cabling and Gigabit devices and network adapters. As with the wireless devices it will always default to the slowest standard.

Good Luck...

William asks…

Problems installing a Netgear N300 wireless router?

I used the installation disc after connecting everything, and it ran smoothly until it came time for it to actually establish a connection to the internet. It told menit detected a static IP address. Not knowIng any better, I clicked OK. It prompted me for the network information, which I entered correctly, at least to my knowledge, except for the preferred DNS server and the alternate DNS server. The installation failed, and told me I had entered the information incorrectly. Only after it failed, I went to pull up the network information, and it all had changed besides the subnet mask. So, I decided it must be impossible for it to be a static IP address because it had changed. Then i tried troubleshooting it to see if it would detect a different type of connection. I did it, same result. My question is, did I enter something wrong (and if I did where can I find the preffered and alternate DNS servers), and if I didn't how do I go about fixing this issue?

netgear answers:

Are you sure that you have a static IP? They are assigned by your ISP and cost more than a dynamic IP.

Mark asks…

Can i use netgear as a wireless router for my road runner internet ?

i currently have time warner road runner internet provider but it is not wireless i wanted to know if i can set up a wireless conection using Netgear n300 wireless gigabit adsl2+ modem router ?????

netgear answers:

Yes

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

10 comments:

  1. very informative, thank you.http://www.novelainsensatocoracao.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree with you in this subject, i identify myself with your opinion, that's good.http://www.iguinhojogos.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting one to read. thanks.http://www.capitaocaverna.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not positive where you are getting your information, however great topic. I needs to spend a while finding out much more or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent information I was in search of this information for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks , I've just been looking for information approximately this topic for ages and yours is the greatest I've found out till now. But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the source?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Will have to return again when my course load lets up - however I am getting your Rss feed so i could go through your internet site offline. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will find definitely a whole lot of details like that to consider. That's a fantastic point to carry up. I supply the ideas over as general inspiration but clearly there are concerns such as the one you carry up exactly where probably the most fundamental factor is going to be functioning in trustworthy wonderful faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged about issues like that, but I'm sure that your task is obviously recognized like a fair game. Both boys and ladies really feel the impact of just a moment’s enjoyment, for your relaxation of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey, thanks for that.http://www.pragasurbanas.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, That is awsome.I realy like it.I have also a blog like this.You can visit
    Netgear Router Tehnical Support please visit the link.

    Thankyou
    Lacy Brown

    ReplyDelete