Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Will port forwarding ruin me wireless connection?

Q. I was wondering if port forwarding my linksys router would have any effect on my wireless connection.

Thanks in advance.

A. Typically port forwarding is done when you want to point a specific protocol to a specific machine...for example having an FTP server sitting behind your router and using port forwarding so any FTP sessions are directly sent to that specific server.

You have to be more specific in what you're doing, but in general if your forwarding packets inbound from the internet to a specific device, and that information isn't meant for your wireless devices, go for it.

However, I'd be curious as to why you need to do port forwarding outside of a proxy server, mail server, or ftp server.


How do I set up a single port forward for my internal ip address?
Q. I currently own a Linksys E3000 router. I've went to a port forward page and I've selected a port that I want to forward. However, I could only assign the port forwards to ip's in this format: 192.168.1.X. but, I want to forward a port that has an ip of this format: 10.X.X.X. Is there still a way I could forward a port in that particular format?

A. No. All the computers have to have an IP address in the same subnet as the router private addresses. It then issues all machines with addresses in that range. you can not talk to a machine in the 10. range from the 192. range as these are totally different subnets. So any machine you want to run within that network MUST have a 192. series and within the same range except for the last octet of the address.


What IP to put in when port forwarding with Linksys?
Q. Ok, so i'm trying to port forward for a Minecraft server, but it requires an IP, but there can only be 3 numbers. What do I put in for the IP?
My computers IP is like, 11 numbers long but I can only put in 3

A. The IP address for the forward MUST be the address of the machine running the server.


I am trying to start a minecraft sever and need help. How do I port forward?
Q. I have a wrt53gL linksys router. How do I port forward? And what would I use for my I.P. Address?
I've gone to my wireless settings but can't seem to figure out what to do to forward forward a port for minecraft. Any help would be great. Thank you

A.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment