Monday, July 30, 2012

Netgear Faq: Netgear Repeater

Paul asks…

can i use a non netgear repeater with a netgear router and if so what is a good repeater to use?

I have an xbox 360 and for some reason the router doesnt give me a good signal pretty much anywhere in the house. where i woould like to play my xbox is across the house from our router. we got a new router (wgt624 version 3) but it doesnt really make a difference.im looking at getting a repeater except netgear doesnt make repeaters and so i want to know what a good repeater would be to use since i am playing xbox live. if ayone can shed some light on this situation that would be very appreciated thank you.

netgear answers:

Any signal repeater will wotk. They require no software. Simply plug it in to your exsisting router. The only bummer is that you have to run a cable between the two. I use a Dlink.

James asks…

How do I set up my NETGEAR Range Max WPN824 to serve as a repeater?

I currently have an AT&T 2wire as my primary wifi unit but require a greater reach I have dead spots. My house does have LAN hard wire throughout so I want to attach to the LAN at the far side with the WPN824.

netgear answers:

When you configure the Netgear router, be sure to set all of the wireless settings to exactly the same as that of your 2wire router. Then disable the DHCP server. When you connect it to your LAN, plug it into one of the LAN ports, rather than the WAN port. Otherwise, the traffic from that router will be behind a second NAT and generally have issues.

Alternatively, configure the netgear router as a separate network. The WPN824 can have superb range depending on where you place it (beamforming usually works best when its placed next to a few walls), and you might end up using just that.

Hope that helps!

David asks…

How can you turn a Netgear N150 (DGN100) in to a wifi repeater?

netgear answers:

By disabling the Distribute IP's

William asks…

xbox 360 only occasionally connects wirelessly to Netgear router with a D-link repeater. help?

my xbox's wireless adapter picks up my wireless network, and asks for WEP key, but when I type it correctly it says can't connect. have tried xbox customer support and turning off the repeater but both have proved useless. If someone could explain in dummy terms how to remedy this it would be much appreciated :)

netgear answers:

First, make sure that you're choosing the correct type of security key (i.e. WEP, WPA, WPA-2, etc.). It's important that it matches your router's setting.

Next, make sure your router has DHCP turned on OR that you're using a static IP address (manual) when you set up the network on your Xbox 360.

Any additional info you can share will help, too.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment