Sunday, July 29, 2012

Netgear Faq: Netgear Dg834g Router Settings

Daniel asks…

ps3 is set up online via a wireless router but sometimes like to disconnect, why is this?

i have my pc downstaris with talk talk broadband and the netgear dg834g adsl router, my ps3 is upstairs in my room.

i usually have about 20% signal strength but it sometimes goes up to 40% area, if i am playing rainbow six vegas 2 it usually works fine but sometimes it likes to disconnect or sign me out, i usually have to restart the ps3 to get it connected again or what about 5 minutes til it lets me sign in again.

why is this? and are there any ways of improving the realibility and signal strength so it doesn't jsut randomly disconnect? i was thinkning of configuring the router settings, would this work.

i use WPA-PSK security should this be changed in order to get the best out of my ps3 when on online? any tips?

i dont really want to spend any extra money but if i have to i will.

Just so you know...

I DONT WANT A LONG CABLE RUNNING UP THE STARIS. Want to remain wireless.



PLEASE HELP! THANKS

netgear answers:

Any software configuration wont work..
The problem is with the hardware, means the range of the wi-fi..
So better to be within the range....

Joseph asks…

ps3 is set up online via a wireless router but sometimes like to disconnect, why is this? can you help?

i have my pc downstaris with talk talk broadband and the netgear dg834g adsl router, my ps3 is upstairs in my room.

i usually have about 20% signal strength but it sometimes goes up to 40% area, if i am playing rainbow six vegas 2 it usually works fine but sometimes it likes to disconnect or sign me out, i usually have to restart the ps3 to get it connected again or what about 5 minutes til it lets me sign in again.

why is this? and are there any ways of improving the realibility and signal strength so it doesn't jsut randomly disconnect? i was thinkning of configuring the router settings, would this work.

i use WPA-PSK security should this be changed in order to get the best out of my ps3 when on online? any tips?

i dont really want to spend any extra money but if i have to i will.

Just so you know...

I DONT WANT A LONG CABLE RUNNING UP THE STARIS. Want to remain wireless.



PLEASE HELP! THANKS

netgear answers:

You could buy a better antenna for your router and that should solve the problem. If the PS3 is the only wireless device get a directional antenna and point it right at the PS3. If not then just get a high gain antenna.

Microwave ovens and cordless phones can interfere sometimes also. You could try switching the broadcast channel on the router, and PS3 to over come that.

You could also try moving the PS3 to a different spot, remove large objects (like couches, tables, etc) that block the line of sight to the router.

You could also change the orientation of the antenna on the router (if it's pointing up, point it sideways).

You could also move your router.

There could be a firmware update for your router that might improve it's functionality or fix bugs.
Http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp


I'm using WPA-PSK on my PS3 and am not having any problems, although I did have problems on one of my PC's. It would drop the connection quite a bit. You don't really want to change the encryption though because WEP is pretty easy to crack.

Mark asks…

Netgear DG834G questions?

1. I have a laptop connected to my wireless router yet under attached devices in my routers settings it isnt listed yet it works fine, what could be making it not show up here?

2. How good is the Netgear hardware firewall built into this model of router?

3. I have a mouse on the same frequency as my wireless router (2.4Ghz) what channel is most effective at avoiding interference?

thankyou, whoever gives the most detail will receive best answer

netgear answers:

1) No idea - it could be many things.

2) A router is inherently an incoming firewall - packets arriving for your IP address have nowhere to go (your computer's actual IP address isn't reachable from outside the router), so they're ignored. However, there's no outgoing firewall in a consumer-grade router - any program that tries to "phone home" will have no problem unless you're running an outgoing firewall, something like Zone Alarm.

3) I run a wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and 3 computers connected to a wireless router on the same desk, and have very little interference problem. The wireless lan algorithms are designed to cope with many devices using the same channel. (And your mouse probably doesn't use the same channel as your wireless lan, even though it's in the same frequency band. It's like channel 2 and channel 4 being in the same TV band [VHF] and not interfering with each other.)

George asks…

Netgear DG834G Port Forwarding?

I am using this guide for port forwarding on uTorrent:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834G/Utorrent.htm
At the end it says 'We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. Utorrent requires you to forward the ports you entered above. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the NAT Rule - Add menu and then click Submit'
I cannot find the 'NAT Rule - Add' menu on my router, can anyone tell me where it is?

netgear answers:

I also run uTorrent and I've never bothered with Port Forwarding. You don't need it.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment