Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blinking Power Indicating Light on my Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router?

Q. Recently I noticed that the indicating light of my Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router started blinking & the said router stops working. What is this trying to tell me? I asked Linksys but since my router is out of warranty there is a fee for tech support but said that it might be that the firmware is corrupted. How can I rectify/update the firmware when the router is not working?
Thanks.

A. You have no connection to the router at all?

The reset button is located on the rear and is recessed slighly into the back of the router. With the power ON, using a pin, push and hold the reset button until all the lights start flashing or, lights start flashing other then the current. Then, unplug the router for 30 seconds and power it back up.

If the light no longer flashes, then your problem will most like have been resolved. Attempt connection from your computers to the router/internet.

If the light continues to flash, connect a computer to the router using an ethernet cable; you obviously can't do this wirelessly. Once you are connected with an ethernet cable, click on Start, and then click Run, and in the textfield type cmd and press enter. At the command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter. Your computer will reply with a few lines of information. The line of interest is the one that reads "Default Gateway." It should read 192.168.1.1 .

IF IT DOES READ 192.168.1.1 then you will be able to update the firmware. First, you will need to get an updated firmware file. Once obtained, open your web browser, type http://192.168.1.1 and press enter. For both user name and password, enter admin . A webpage will appear. Click Administration and once clicked, right below that click Firmware Upgrade. There, you can select the firmware upgrade from your computer.

IF IT DOES NOT READ 192.168.1.1 then Control Panel -> Network Connections (XP) or Network and Sharing Center (Vista & 7). Find your network adapter. Right click it and select properties. There will be a small list of which one line will read "Internet Protocol version 4" or "TCP/IP connection IPv4." DO NOT USE THE IPv6!. Click the line that has version 4/IPv4 and click the properties buttons down and to the right. On the next page will read "acquire an ip address automatically." Select the option below it, "Use the following IP address". For IP Address, enter 192.168.1.5; Subnet Mask, 255.255.255.0; Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1; press OK and OK again. Once completed open your web browser and type http://192.168.1.1. If you are prompted for a username and password, use admin for both. You will then see a webpage. At the top, click "Administration." Once clicked, right below that link click "Firmware Upgrade." Here you can upload the upgrade saved on your computer to your router.

If you are unable to make a connection to your router with the instructions above, time for a new router.

For Firmware Upgrade, go to this page... http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GS?referrer=www.linksysbycisco.com and halfway down the page to the right click "Downloads." From there you can proceed in obtaining and downloading your Firmware Upgrade.

www.microscriber.com


My linksys wrt54g router will not show up when connected to my computer through cable.?
Q. I have a linksys wrt54g router version 6 that will not work. the power light is flashing and the port 1,2,3,4 and internet light are on constantly. when i plug the router into my computer through an ethernet cable, none of my computers will "see" it. i think the firmware was delete. Is there any way to fix this?

A. It could be the router is faulty, or the power supply is dying.
I've seen the odd router not work properly because the power supply started to act up. However, you can only try the same supply from the same router,if you want to test this theory. You have to find someone with a wrt54g, and borrow their power supply for 5 minutes, that will tell right away...

If I recall correctly, that is a 12VDC, 0.5A (500mA) supply. Any good supply at 12VDC, around 1.0A will do for a test. make sure it is "DC", not "AC", and only 12V


Why do people want to know the first 4 s/n on the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router?
Q. I'm selling a linksys wrt54gs wireless router and I have a lot of people asking me about the first 4 s/n and I was wondering what the first 4 s/n means to them. I'm clueless on how to ask this question.

A. Linksys sold many different products that were all called the "WRT54GS" router. The buyers want to know which WRT54GS they're buying.

For example, if your serial number prefix is CGN0, your router has 32MB of RAM. But if it's CGNE, it only has 16MB. If your serial number prefix is CGN5, you have a 200MHz CPU. If it's CGNB, you have a 240MHz CPU.

When an older part becomes unavailable or a newer part is less expensive, the manufacturer switches to the newer part. But they don't want to have to create a new part number, do new advertising, or make new arrangements with their customers. So they switch the design of the device and fill existing orders with something different. Most end users don't care so long as the products work mostly the same. However, woth things like routers, the older versions tend to not get new firmware or tend to be missing features that were added later.


How can I get my DSL Modem to work with my Linksys Router?
Q. I have an Actiontec GT701R DSL Modem powered by Qwest and a Linksys WRT54G Router. I have other computers and printers in my home that need to be networked together. I cannot get the Linksys and the Actiontec to work together.

They both have the latest firmware versions installed.

I just want to plug my network devices into my linksys and then have it all move through the Actiontec out to the web. I also would like my wireless to work, but I just need the ethernet stuff to work at the moment.

I have a dire need to get this working as quickly as I can, please help.
I need to know about how I can get a route established either Dynamic or Static, what I can do about NAT (which device should run it) and how to get the linksys to point to the actiontect for internet information.

Please dont tell me to call qwest or run a dumb CD, those are dumb answers.

A. Well first we need to know if the modem handles PPPOE. if not then it is passive and you will have to fill that info out on the 54g as a WAN setting. PPPOE usually is an email address that comes with your service and a predetermined password. Regarding NAT... the 54g is a very solid router and I strongly suggest that you use the internal firewall built in the router, this would mean that if your modem does in fact have a NAT, you will have to disable it to get a useable and healthy statefull connection to the router.

If you were given a static IP from your ISP then you simply have to change the WAN setting on the router to static and input the IP address, gateway, and dns servers (use open dns! opendns.com)

feel free to contact me with any further questions.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment